Travel anxiety begins when the travel date or time dooms nearer, and almost everyone who travels feels some form of anxiety. I believe a little is just fine but when it becomes too much to handle or you begin losing sleep over it then you need to manage it better. I’m no expert on anxiety so I’m not going to be sharing anything ‘medically appropriate’ but I’ll share from my experience of how I am able to manage travel anxiety better.
Here are a few things I do to help me through the process of traveling.
- Start with a mental note of what items of luggage will be needed to take along
- Make a list of all the things that will be needed during the trip
- Sort the items on the list based on their usability
- Pack these them based on their usability so the items that will be least required go right at the bottom of the suitcase.
- Begin packing at least 2 days before the day of travel. I personally just pile everything that has to go along with me, right in front of my eyes so I know if I’m missing anything. It also helps me in thinking of anything that i may have missed initially
- Make a separate list of all the things that are held from being packed till the last minute like the phone charger, passport or wallet and tally it before leaving to ensure nothing is forgotten
- Count the number of bags, including laptop bags, waist bags etc. and continue counting them at every transfer
- An extension wire always helps, hotel rooms just have one or two sockets and while traveling one always have a lot of things to charge, the phone, powerbank, cameras etc etc.
- Carry extra locks and keys
- Carry a high grade masking tape for emergencies
- Wear comfortable clothes for the duration of travel
- Keep an additional cardigan or shawl for lower temperatures in the hand luggage. So if it gets too cold, something warm to wear is close by
- Wear comfortable shoes, even if you are sure most of your traveling will require you to sit, sitting for long periods will also be comfortable if you’ve got a comfy pair of shoes on.
- Try to sleep before setting out on your journey of course sleeping is the issue when you’re anxious, in that case try doing something that’s relaxing like reading a book or listening to music, anything that takes your mind off traveling.
Traveling is generally fun, and if you’re prepared for it, then there’s nothing more exciting. Personally I believe the best part about traveling is always the planning, the excitement you feel on a journey to explore a new destination.
Don’t be doubtful about hopping on a bus to take you to a new place!